Saturday, June 30, 2012

SOMEDAY MAN Re-Mix!

This was a real labor of love! I started with the recently-released backing bed of the song, one that went unused by the Monkees in the 60s. I added percussion, effects, distortion (to put it into the psychedelic arena a bit more), backing vocals, as well as lengthening the tune, then ran into a huge problem! The bug? None of Davy's existing vocals for any take of SOMEDAY MAN would fit this slower-tempoed version! Even if I cut each stanza and verse and pasted them into place--no dice! So, I had the choice to post the backing track (with my additions) sans vocals, or (shudder) sing the song myself! 

 And, that's what I did! 

 So, once I laid down the basic vocal (using Paul Williams' lyrics), Dolan Bigley went to work using the Auto-Tuner (thank heavens), and his expertise in arranging and sweetening and polishing things here and there. I then came back in with more harmonies and supporting voice work, whistling effects, and... There you have it. Consider this my tribute to the late Davy Jones.

Click to play!








No comments:

Post a Comment